Friday 19 August 2022

17th August Games

We were all in the main hall last night; quite a communal really. Steves H & S, Mark, Andy P and Dave K played Aliens again, I didn't have a lot of time to follow the action as Mike, Steve B, Bob and I were set to try out the Wars of the Roses forces in Lion Rampant prior to a game at my place this weekend. Rob was playing Warcry but I didn't have a chance to see him - sorry Rob.


   The Wars of the Roses game was loosely based on the deployments at Towton on the 28th March 1461; the weather was lousy on the day, hence the snow cloth. Mike was running the Lancastrians with Steve B as Sir Anthony Trollope and Mike as the Duke of Somerset. I ran the Yorkists as Edward IV/Lords Hastings and Howard, and Bob played Viscount Bourchier. This was his first game of LR so the command was small but important, fighting off Mike's flank attack so effectively that Somerset fled the field! I was left to wear down the advancing Lancastrians - difficult as they consisted almost entirely of dismounted men at arms and lesser gentry, who were well protected and played an upgrade that effectively meant they never tested for morale despite taking some casualties. The fight was going reasonably well up until my last move - the dice Gods deserted me for three consecutive morale tests which all rolled a double 1 . . .

That said the game was fun; we were using a mix of the original rules plus some of the new bits from the 2rnd edition which is now available, and in my view, much enhanced. We'll know after Sunday's game.

Next week; I've been asked to run a WW1 aerial game using Wings of Glory.

See yer soon

Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment